Car accidents can be devastating, even life-altering causing severe injuries or fatalities.
If you or a loved one were involved in an auto accident in San Antonio or anywhere in Texas, there are specific steps you need to take to ensure your safety and protect your legal rights.
Below you will find everything you should do immediately after an auto accident in Texas.
Additionally, you’ll understand if and when to hire an experienced San Antonio car accident lawyer from Trevino Injury Law to help maximize your claim.
What To Do Immediately After a Texas Car Crash
Car accidents can are traumatic and highly stressful events. Settlements can vary widely depending on the factors that play a role in your car accident. If you are involved in a San Antonio car accident, it’s important to follow these steps to protect your rights and interests:
1. Check For Injuries: Stay calm and assess the situation. If you or anyone else has injuries, call 911 immediately.
2. Get To Safety: If the car accident is minor and there are no injuries, you can move your car to the side of the road if it’s safe. If you are seriously injured stay in your vehicle until help arrives.
3. Call 911 And Wait For Help: This will ensure emergency services are dispatched to the accident scene, and you receive the medical attention you need. It is also essential to call 911 if the accident is blocking the road or causing a traffic hazard.
4. Do NOT Admit Fault: After car accidents, it’s common to be in shock, so it is essential to remain calm and not say anything construed as an admission of guilt that can be used against you in a court of law.
So be wary of what you say to the other driver, police, first responders, and insurance adjusters. If you must speak to the other driver, only exchange insurance information but do not discuss who is at fault for the car accident.
The insurance companies will determine “fault” of the auto accident based on the evidence and testimony of the involved parties. If you are unsure what happened, it is best to wait until you have a chance to speak with experienced car accident attorney who is experienced in Texas car accident law.
5. Exchange Information: Get the full name, phone number, address, driver’s license number, and insurance information from the driver involved. Also note the make, model, color, and license plate number of the car involved in the crash.
6. Preserve Evidence: Take pictures of the car crash scene and damages before moving the vehicle. Also, take photos of any injuries as soon as possible including injuries that show up days later. Note the weather conditions and take pictures of any skid marks on the road. Additionally, get contact information of any witnesses to the car accident.
7. Get a Police Report Integrity Inspection: The official name of the police report is the Texas Peace Officers’s Crash Report (CR-3), commonly called the “crash report”. This report is one of the most critical pieces of evidence in all vehicle accidents.
An experienced San Antonio, TX car accident attorney will be able to review your (CR-3) car crash report to validate and ensure the crash report is accurate.
Click here for Crash Report Integrity Inspection and why it’s needed after a San Antonio car accident, in Bexar County, or elsewhere throughout Texas.
- Do not admit fault. Let the insurance companies and lawyers determine who caused the car accident and who is responsible.
- Preserve evidence. The longer you wait, the harder your claim becomes to prove.
- The accuracy of the police report is critical to your legal claim. The police often get their opinions and facts wrong so get a Crash Report Integrity Inspection.
- Hire a San Antonio car accident attorney who is also an experienced trial lawyer.
Note: You can get a FREE personalized injury report (including a Police/Crash Report Integrity Inspection) by contacting Trevino Injury Law.
How Can A San Antonio Car Accident Attorney Help Me?
Unfortunately, vehicle accidents leave victims with high medical bills, lost wages, rehabilitation costs, major and minor injuries, property damage, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and depression.
Furthermore, filing a car accident claim is confusing and stressful.
San Antonio car accident lawyers can guide you through the insurance and legal process, advocate on your behalf, and help maximize your claim.
This is why speaking to a local, personal injury San Antonio law firm, such as Trevino Injury Law is beneficial to represent your interests after a motor vehicle accident.
The Benefits Of Hiring Trevino Injury Law After a Texas Car Accident
Hiring the right San Antonio law firm goes beyond simply getting help with your claim; it can mean the difference between winning and losing your car accident lawsuit in Texas.
When you become a client of Trevino Injury Law, have confidence in knowing you’re hiring one of the best trial law firms in San Antonio.
With over 18 years of experience, San Antonio born and raised car accident lawyer Candelario Trevino has tried over 75 personal injury cases and has a reputation for winning in the courtroom.
Realize not all personal injury lawyers have the same courtroom experience.
In fact, according to the American Bar Association, less than 2% of all civil cases go to trial, which means that most attorneys never step foot in a courtroom.
We Reduce Stress and Frustration For You
Our law firm has an effective 3-Step System to help guide you through the confusing and traumatic insurance and legal process so that you’re not alone.
Our Car Accident Lawyer San Antonio Process:
- We Build You a Trial-Ready Case
- We Fight Why You Heal
- We Get You Compensated
All Clients Receive An Injury Report Which Includes:
- Estimated Value of Your Case
- A Free Texas Police Crash Report (CR-3)
- Crash Report Integrity Inspection
- Responsible Party Analysis
- Evidence Preservation Audit
- Mechanics of Injury Evaluation
- Insurance Review
- Medical Treatment Evaluation
- Case Resolution Timeline
If you are considering hiring a law firm of car accident lawyers for your injuries, you can get a free Personalized Injury Report by calling (210) 873-8466 or clicking this Injury Report Link.
Why Is Hiring a Trial Lawyer Is Important For a Motor Vehicle Accident Claim?
There are many benefits of hiring a trial lawyer when you have been in a car accident. Essentially, the San Antonio trial lawyers at Trevino Injury Law know how to build a solid trial-ready case specifically for car crashes.
But here are two major reasons why hiring a trial attorney is best for your car accident case.
Trial attorneys with a history of taking cases to trial have leverage in negotiating a fair value for their clients.
Insurance companies know which personal injury law firms take accident cases to trial… and those who don’t.
So when insurance companies “undervalue” your claim (and they will) during negotiations, San Antonio car accident attorneys at Trevino Injury Law will take the case to trial and demand much larger compensation from a jury (than what was originally offered).
Losing a large sum of money at the hands of a jury is NOT a chance insurance companies want to take, especially with Trevino Injury Law, a San Antonio law firm that has been awarded multi million dollar verdicts.
Experienced trial lawyers can help build a more comprehensive and favorable legal argument if your auto accident case should go to trial.
This is because accident attorneys who try accident cases (especially in car accidents) understand the magnitude and importance of preserving certain pieces of evidence since they’ve seen it play out in front of the eyes of a jury.
And knowing how to use this preserved evidence is critical in determining how to help sway the jury to your position so you can win in court and be compensated for your car accident injuries.
How Soon Should I Hire Car Accident Lawyers?
It’s never too soon to hire a car accident attorney after a Texas car accident.
The simple truth is you don’t know what you don’t know. However, insurance companies have experience and will do everything they can to devalue your claim.
The at-fault party’s insurance company might immediately contact you after an accident. Contrary to popular opinion, they will not consider your best interests. Their main objective is to pay you as little money as possible.
Retaining an experienced San Antonio car accident attorney to evaluate your claim is highly recommended before you speak to the opposing party’s insurance carrier.
Unless you’re an experienced car accident lawyer, other parties who were not even present at the scene can be liable, as in potential product liability or Texas dram shop laws suits for DUI and DWI car accidents.
Having local law firm like Trevino Injury Law deal with the insurance company directly alleviates stress, allows you to maximize fair compensation, and helps prevent unfair settlement offers.
How Long After An Accident Do You Have To File a Claim?
The deadline for filing a personal injury claim in Texas is two years, known as your statute of limitations.
If you do not settle an injury claim within two years of the accident, you will lose the right to seek compensation from the party responsible for your injuries.
Therefore, the sooner you hire a personal injury lawyer, the sooner you can file a claim so that a car accident investigation can be conducted –preserving relevant evidence.
On the contrary, the longer you wait, the more difficult it becomes to collect evidence supporting your accident claim to get you compensated.
How Much Do San Antonio Car Accident Attorneys Cost?
If you choose Trevino Injury Law to represent you, you do not have to pay money upfront because our auto accident attorneys work on a contingency fee basis.
We only get paid by winning your case in court or settling your car accident lawsuit. In other words, if you don’t get paid, we don’t get paid.
Contingency fees vary depending on the specifics of your case. A personal injury lawyer in San Antonio usually gets paid between 35% to 45% of the final settlement amount.
The percentage an attorney earns increases as your injury case requires more time and resources to settle or ultimately ends up in trial.
What Damages Can I Recover After An Auto Accident?
Compensatory damages are designed to replace money lost by a person who suffered a personal injury. Several common types of compensatory accident damages include:
- Medical Expenses: If you were involved in an car accident, you are entitled to compensation for your medical care. Typical medical expenses after an accident include doctor visits, hospital stays, surgeries, physical therapy, medications, ambulance fees, and other expenses incurred.
- Lost Wages: Lost wages may include compensation for time spent traveling to and from the doctor, time spent in physical therapy, and time spent in the hospital recovering.
- Loss Of Future Income: Loss of future income is a type of economic damage that may be recoverable in a personal injury lawsuit. It is defined as the inability to earn money that would have been earned in the future had the injury caused not occurred. This can include lost wages, lost earning capacity because of a disability, and lost opportunities for advancement.
- Pain and Suffering: Pain and suffering damages are compensation that may be awarded to a plaintiff in a personal injury lawsuit. This type of damage is intended to compensate the victim for the physical and emotional pain and suffering they have experienced as a result of the defendant’s negligence. In some instances, pain and suffering damages can also include future pain and suffering that the victim is expected to experience.
- Physical Disfigurement: Physical disfigurement damages result from a car accident injury that caused a permanent mark or scar on the body. This can be something as minor as a small surgery scar or something as major as a severe burn that leaves visible scarring. While physical disfigurement damages can be minor and not very noticeable, they can also be very severe and prominent, leading to emotional distress and a loss of self-confidence.
- Property Damage: In legal terms, property damage refers to any physical or emotional harm that is caused to someone’s property. This can include damage to their home, car/motor vehicle, or personal belongings. It can also refer to any financial loss that is incurred as a result of the damage.
- Loss of Use Of Your Vehicle: Loss of use of your motor vehicle is a legal term that refers to the inability to use your car due to damage from an accident. This can be a temporary or permanent loss of use, depending on the severity of the damage to your car. If you cannot use your vehicle, you may be entitled to compensation from the other party involved in the motor vehicle accident.
- Loss of Enjoyment: Loss of enjoyment in legal terms is the inability to experience the full benefits or enjoyment of life due to an injury caused. This can be a physical injury, such as a loss of a limb, or a psychological injury, such as post-traumatic stress disorder. The loss of enjoyment can be temporary or permanent, and it can be partial or complete. In some accident cases, it may be possible to receive compensation for the loss of enjoyment, depending on the severity of the injury and the impact it has on the victim’s life.
- Loss of Companionship and Consortium: Loss of companionship and consortium is a legal term that refers to the loss of companionship and affection that a spouse or family member suffers due to another person’s negligence or wrongful act. This type of loss is often seen in accident cases where a person is injured or killed as a result of someone else’s negligence, and the victim’s spouse or family members are left without the victim’s love, companionship, and affection. In some accident cases, loss of companionship and consortium can also refer to the loss of sexual relations between a husband and wife.
- Funeral and Burial Expenses: Funeral and Burial Expenses damages cover the reasonable costs of funeral and burial expenses incurred by the victim’s family. This includes the cost of transportation, funeral services, and burial or cremation. The damages are intended to help the family cope with the financial burden of these expenses.
Bexar County TX Car Accident Statistics
|Type||Fatal Crashes||Fatalities||Serious Crashes||Serious Injuries||Total Crashes|
|Speed Involved Crashes/Injuries||40||49||93||125||2,332|
|Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) Crashes/Injuries||16||16||34||36||2,210|
|Distracted Driving Crashes/Injuries||56||57||230||262||18,614|
|Work Zone Crashes/Injuries||10||10||27||29||2,066|
|DUI (Alcohol) Crashes/Injuries||57||70||76||118||1,963|
Worst Intersections in San Antonio 2022 For Congestion
- Loop 1604 between U.S. 281 and Interstate 10
- Interstate 35 between Loop 1604 and NE Loop 410
- Loop 1604 between I-10 and Braun Road
- Loop 410 between U.S. 281 and I-10
- NW Loop 410 and Bandera Road
- U.S. 281 between Loop 1604 and Stone Oak Parkway
- I-35/1-10 between Interstate 37 and U.S. Highway 90
- I-35 between Loop 410 NE and Loop 410
- Loop 410 between U.S. 281 and I-35
- Interpark Blvd/Wood Valley near 281/Bitters
- Highway 151 to Alamo Ranch Parkway
- Zarzamora Street between Interstate 35 and Loop 410
- U.S. 281 South to Loop 410 W Exchange
- Coming from Boerne on I-10 South turning onto 1604 heading East
- 1604 Heading East on to I-10 North
- Ramps from 281 to 410
- Bandera Road and Wurzback Intersection in Leon Valley
- Ramp from I-10 East and I-35 from Wurzback to Austin
- Bandera Road from 410 to 1604
- Intersection of Highway 281 and Bitters Road
- Intersection of Starcrest and Hidden
- West 1604 to I-35S next to Ikea
- Nacogdoches and O’Conner
- Intersection at I-10 and Woodlawn/Fredericksburg
- Intersection of Culebra Road and Westwood Loop outside Loop 1604
- Sonterra to 281 S access road
- Loop 410 and 90 interchange on the West side
- Northeast 410 as it merges with I-35
- The stretch on 1604 from I-35 to I-10 (East & West)
- Loop 1604 between I-10 and Blanco
- Loop 1604 and Culebra
- Wilderness Oak and Blanco
- Culebra in the Alamo Ranch area
- 151 that exits into the Alamo Ranch area
- Wurzback and I-10
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you have delayed shock after a car accident?
Yes, it is possible to experience delayed shock after car accidents. This is because the body is in a state of stress and may not be able to process the trauma immediately. Symptoms of delayed shock include feeling numb, disconnected from your surroundings, having difficulty processing information, feeling short of breath, and feeling dizzy and lightheaded. If you experience any of these symptoms, it is vital to seek medical attention as soon as possible.
How long does it take to feel pain after a car accident?
You’ll immediately feel pain from broken bones, punctures, or lacerations in a car injury. Pain from mild injuries, like minor cuts and bruises, will usually appear within minutes to 48 hours. However, symptoms of delayed injuries that occur after a motor vehicle accident, like brain injuries, spinal disc injuries, and soft tissue damage, could take weeks to months to fully manifest.
What happens if you don’t call the police after a motor vehicle accident in Texas?
Failure to report a serious accident involving injury or damage exceeding $1,000 is punishable with jail time, a fine of up to $5,000, or both. If the other driver files a police report and claims you were at fault, you may be sued for damages. You may also be charged with a hit and run if you leave the accident scene without exchanging information with the other driver.
Important! Do Not Under Settle Your Personal Injury Accident
Before settling your car accident claim with an insurance company, make a wise decision and contact Trevino Injury Law to get a free case consultation to understand all your legal options.
The truth is, in , insurance companies have teams of attorneys and staff working against you to reject or minimize your injury claim.
Trust that Trevino Injury Law, an award-winning San Antonio personal injury law firm, is committed to battling unfair insurance practices, seeking justice, and maximizing injury claims on your behalf.
Speak With One of The Best Law Firms in San Antonio
Trevino Injury Law is an award-winning personal injury law firm comprised of real trial lawyers getting real results. Here are just a few reasons other clients have chosen us to represent them.
- Successful Track Record: Trevino Injury Law has obtained some of Texas’s largest multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements.
- An Aggressive Reputation: Trevino Injury Law believes in calculated aggression when dealing with personal injury accidents.
- No Fees Unless We Win: Trevino Injury Law works on a contingency fee basis, which means if you don’t get paid, then we don’t get paid.
- 30-Day Case Status Updates: Trevino Injury Law is proud of its commitment to informing clients about their case status and timeline every month.
Remember, our legal consultations are free, and there is zero obligation to use our firm.
If you expect more, then hire experience. Contact Trevino Injury Law today.